In 1948, a young man named Angelo Martinelli purchased a small printing company in Yonkers, New York. Over the next several years, Gazette Press grew to become the largest commercial printing company in Westchester County.
An entrepreneur who loved the printing and publishing industries and was seeking to diversify, Angelo launched Hudson Valley, a local monthly magazine, in 1972. Almost a decade later, he bought Delaware Today, a monthly magazine covering the First State.
Though no one realized it at the time, Angelo’s purchase of Gazette Press was the beginning of a family tradition of entrepreneurship. Three generations later, the Martinellis have grown the family business into a multi-platform company covering a five-state region. Today, its operations include regional magazine publishing, digital solutions, event opportunities, and custom communications. Today Media now includes four major regional brands—Delaware Today, Main Line Today, Hudson Valley, and Westchester Magazine—as well as business, home, and weddings ancillaries, and Today Media Custom Communications, a custom communications division.
Today Media Timeline
- Angelo Martinelli purchases Gazette Press, a Yonkers, New York, printing company.
- Hudson Valley magazine is launched by Angelo Martinelli. The news and lifestyle magazine
covers New York State from Westchester to Albany.
- Angelo Martinelli becomes Mayor of Yonkers, beginning what would become the longest tenure of any Yonkers mayor, serving six terms from 1974 to 1987. It would be one of many examples of the Martinelli family’s contributions to the community.
- Delaware Today‘s Best of Delaware Party debuts and moves Today Media into the event business. Each of Today Media’s monthlies will host annual “Best of” parties in the coming years.
- TThe Martinellis start a custom publication company called Suburban Marketing. Two of the company’s earliest custom publications are Delaware Lawyer and the Westchester Economic Development Book— both still published by the Martinellis.
- Main Line Today, a glossy monthly lifestyle magazine covering suburban Philadelphia’s historic and affluent Main Line area and other nearby western suburbs of Philly, is launched by the Martinelli family.
- The Martinellis incorporate Today Media as the parent company for Delaware Today, Main Line Today, and the custom publishing division.
- Delaware Bride, a biannual weddings publication, is launched.
- Westchester Magazine is purchased, and Ralph Martinelli is named publisher. In the ensuing years, the magazine becomes the go-to upscale monthly lifestyle magazine for the nearly 1 million residents of Westchester County, and a brand is born.
- The Hunt, covering life in the gorgeous Brandywine Valley—the nexus between Southern Chester County, PA, and Northern Delaware—is purchased by the Martinellis and becomes part of the Today Media family of publications.
- Media Two, (now Today Media Custom Communications) a Baltimore based custom communications company owned and operated by Jonathan Witty, is purchased by the Martinelli family.
- Westchester Home, a quarterly shelter magazine, is launched, giving readers a glimpse of the interiors, exteriors, gardens, and grounds of some of the county’s most architecturally and aesthetically interesting homes, as well as interior-design and -décor ideas and inspiration.
- Today Media solidifies and expands the company’s comment to producing and publishing high-quality digital content and launches www.westchestermagazine.com, www.delawaretoday.com, www.hudsonvalley.com, and www.mainlinetoday.com.
- Westchester Weddings magazine is launched to give betrothed county couples the latest in wedding venues, trends, style, and more—with a local slant.
- 914INC., Westchester’s first business lifestyle magazine, is launched and receives almost immediate accolades.
- Delaware Business Times, Delaware’s bi-weekly Business Journal is launched.